Essential Items for Long-term Travellers

My mother recently visited us on our travels and asked us what items we have not used; and what items we have found to be essential. She was with us in Johannesburg when we left for this round-the-world trip and saw us straining under the weight of our ridiculously heavy bags, so this was an appropriate question.

As we got going on our journey, we quickly noticed that all the other travellers with backpacks had far smaller bags than we did and we saw the potential error in our ways. However, still in a vague state of denial we have lugged these bags and their contents around for close to 150 days – it is tough letting go of the last few items you own in the world.

When we arrive in a city and are likely to be wondering around rather disorientated until we get our bearings, we treat ourselves and catch a taxi to our lodgings. Public transport can wait until you are 18 - 25kgs lighter. This rule we put in place when we arrived at our first destination in Hanoi and kept being directed incorrectly to a street with a similar name but definitely not the alley where we had booked a hotel for a super discounted rate.

There are only a few items we use almost every day. Comfortable walking shoes have been vital. These shoes have trudged through fish markets, chewing gum, and filthy streets, but I would clasp them close to my chest if anyone tried to take them away from me.

Some of my essentials for travelling

A smaller daypack is also essential. The suitcase needs to stay in your room while you are out seeing the sights, eating the local cuisine and mingling with the locals. I have found I need a larger daypack than my husband, who only carries his camera bag and stuffs his wallet and phone in his pocket.

Unlike hubby, I require more stuff. Sunscreen or mosquito repellent is needed depending on the time of the day. A pashmina or scarf for sun and wind protection, or for covering shoulders making me respectable enough to enter a church/temple is also carried. A bottle of water, tissues, hand sanitiser and breath mints are also lugged around. It is worth pointing out that all these items are also used by my husband, but he never feels the need to take them when he leaves for the day out (#JustSaying).

If we have a day used for commuting, our Kindles are great – you can also only make so much small talk with your fellow traveller before you bore each other. This way you can escape for a few hours at a time, by entering a fictional world that does not talk back.

Zip-lock plastic bags are the bomb! They are surprisingly useful for all sorts of things, so we both love them. We try not to carry too much cash around but have found that one credit card is not enough. Not all cash machines accept both Visa and MasterCard, so having one of each is a good idea – remember to store them in different places so that if you lose one you can still find a way to shop.

Many items we packed are not used daily, but you are quite pleased with yourself when you have a need for them. This includes rain jackets and warm clothes for those unexpected changes in weather- like the freezing temperatures we experienced in Sapa, Vietnam.

Besides the commute on airplanes, buses and trains, just by being in the stations and airports, you are constantly surrounded by people sneezing, coughing and in Asia, spitting.  Combined with the strange hours you keep and unhealthy snacks and meals that are eaten on the run, your immune system is probably compromised. So it is likely that you will catch a cold on any extended journey .

When you are in a strange out-of-the-way place, where your home language is not commonly spoken, and you come down with a hectic cold, it is essential to have some medication on hand. Having a few tablets that enable you to cope groggily for a few hours until you can find a friendly pharmacist is very helpful. Very often, you find yourself on pre-booked tours with busy schedules that make it difficult the find the time to buy something to use to dose yourself and dry up your nose, relieve the sinus pain or lower a fever. So pack those meds!

Something we have used less than I thought we would, is our international power adapters. Our two-pronged devices from South Africa fit into most power outlets we have encountered thus far. I also have only needed to use my travel towel once as towels have been provided by our hotels.

I brought a sleep sheet to use if we arrive at a hotel with really dodge bedding. I have not needed this at all and have finally dumped it to lighten my bag’s weight. I may regret this later when being eaten alive by bedbugs, but my bag was progressively getting heavier with a few bits and bobs that I have collected, so I need to ditch a few items. Scaly skin is something that I can now live with, so all body lotion and moisturizer have been chucked. My sunglasses case and a pair of shoes have also been sacrificed, but I am hanging on to my travel hairdryer – a girl needs some of her comforts after all.

Comments

  1. I always try to have something for the stomach (Pepto Bismol is magic) and some Ibuprofen on hand. Sachets of vitamin C to help boost that immune system is also a great help.

    My most trusted companion has been nail clippers believe it or not, cannot travel without them, and yes security once took my tiny nail clippers away because they are sharp and I can apparently hurt someone with them. They have not seen me operate a belt around a neck yet so they let me keep that !

    I think with 2 credit cards and a handful of local currency for the street vendors who do not take them but sell water is a great idea.

    And how can you not mention your toothbrush !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little piece of heaven disguised as a slightly run down resort

An adventure in Nepal

Fingers Flambé